Volcano is considered to be a top of the line vaporizer. But what makes the volcano so great, and what has the volcano done to stay on top of the pack when it comes to dry herb vaporizers.
The Volcano by Storz and Bickel has been around since the year 2000. Making it one of the first and most popular herb vaporizers on the market. The way that it works is pretty simple. There is an herb chamber that you load in a medium to fine grind of your cannabis. This herb chamber attaches to the base of the Volcano. Once your Volcano is preheated to your optimal temperature put the back on the herb chamber, and then you push the “pump” button, this pushes heated air through the herb chamber and puts the vapor into a heat resistant bag.
Pros of the Device:
- The Volcano is perfect for group settings with the extended size bags, it’s and ideal way to share the vaping experience as all you need to do is pass the bag around, not the device itself.
- Volcano is really efficient if you use good material, with a nice fine to medium grind. You should be able to get 2-3 extra large size out 0.5 – 1.0 grams of material.
- Uses a convection Based heater which creates even heating throughout meaning no need to stir your bowl in between bags.
- The Volcano is one of the few vaporizers to actually receive medical certification, as a medical device. In certain countries you are even able to have insurance pay off most of the device.
- Volcano is built to last, many users report going 10+ years with product before encountering any issues.
- Volcano has really good flavor and vapor quality, because of the bag system vapor coming from the bag is not hot.
Cons of the device:
- Cost is the big con with the device the classic model at it’s cheapest retails for $480 MSRP. Even though the Volcano is expensive it is built a lot better than a lot of its competitors.
- The device can be considered rather large even for a desktop vaporizer, as you not only have the device itself but a rather large bag that accompanies it.
- The device does take a few minutes to heat up to temperature, we found this is a good time to grind your cannabis. You are looking between 3-5 minutes for heat up time.
- Adjusting to the bag can certainly take time especially if you come from smoking, adjusting to the crinkling of the bag, and press your mouth into the piece can certainly change up your ritual.
There is a reason that the Volcano is still at the top spot all these years. With its solid build quality, impressive flavor, and vapor its still hold its own spot at the top after almost 20 years. Minor iterations have led to big improvements, and have removed many of the cons except for the price, and its size.
DRY HERB VAPING
Vaping has become extremely popular in the cannabis world. It’s created an entirely new product line in the cannabis marketplace. Cartridges have become a topic of a controversy in the headlines, namely due to black market practices. What never seems to come up for good or bad however is dry herb vaping.
Dry Herb vaporizers come in all shapes and sizes. Desktop vapes like the Volcano, Exhale Cloud Evo, and Da Buddha. Which all have a different delivery system such as a whip, bag, or through water. Portable vapes such as the Mighty, Pax, and Dynavap. Which use a different style of heater/heating method such as conduction vs convection, while the Dynavap uses a butane torch for vaping. Each device functions differently to fit a niche for the user.
There are many different benefits to using a dry herb vaporizer. First of all dry herb vapes typically run between 350° to 440° which is much lower than smoking which can get as hot at 1650°. Harshness in dry herb vaping typically comes from the dryness associated with the vapor, not the temperature of the vapor. Second is the efficiency, especially when it comes to portables. Bowl size of some of the portables can be as little as .05 – .1 Grams. Giving you much more bang for the buck when it comes to your Cannabis. Third and one of the coolest benefits of dry herb vaping is A.V.B AKA Already Vaped Bud. When you use a dry herb vaporizer the “herb” does not end up combusting, leaving you behind with essentially decarbed flower. Which you can use to make edibles later.
Dry Herb Vaporizers may take a second to get used to, due to the difference in using the product, and have a change in your smoking ritual. However we have seen first hand people who have made the switch, and they and their lungs are happy for it.
CHERRY PIE STRAIN REVIEW
As the holiday season is approaching what better choice of a strain to review than Cherry Pie. Cherry Pie has been a staple strain for a long time. Cherry Pie is remarkably similar to G.S.C however it does not seem to garner the cult like following that G.S.C has managed to attain.
Cherry Pie comes from two legendary strains that are on two opposite ends of the spectrum, the landrace sativa Durban Poison, and the staple indica that is Grand Daddy Purple. We all seem to agree that this strain falls right in the middle as a perfect hybrid. Smelling the Cherry Pie has nice earthy undertones with a touch of sweetness at the end.
- Appearance 3/5
- Smell 3/5
- Flavor 4/5
- Effect 5/5
Cherry Pie’s effects more than make up for its shortcomings in shelf appearance. The strain gives slight feelings of couch-lock and a nice warmness throughout the body. Cherry Pie never tends to be a high tester, but it still can beat out other strains even if they do test higher. Cherry Pie is a good strain of choice if you’re looking to relax after a long day, or hangout with a group of friends and watch a movie. We also found that it gave us a serious case of the giggles.
MIMOSA STRAIN REVIEW
Mimosa has become a staple in the Oregon Cannabis community. Bred by Symbiotic Genetics, the combination of Purple Punch and Clementine give great flavor, and very nice daytime Sativa-Hybrid effects. Mimosa is used a lot of times in different Cannabis extracts, especially Rosin due to the nature of the flower being loaded with trichomes. Top shelf mimosa ranges between 20-28% THC, which makes it a good strain all day. Main effects noticed from this strain are elevated mood, and focus. This is a great strain to use if you are out, and about. It pairs quite well with all sorts of outdoor activities, or a great strain to share with a bunch of friends at a party.
- Appearance 5/5
- Smell 5/5
- Flavor 5/5
- Effect 3/5
Mimosa has some great flavor and jar appeal. My fellow Spacebuds agree that while we really enjoyed the flavor, the effects will never really knock you off your feet. We found that it is a fantastic mixer, or a good strain to hit on all day (Perfect strain for Micro dosing through out the day).